Where to start, we travelled south after the Big 4 at Wooli , had a booking at the Sapphire Beach Resort. just outside of Coffs Harbour . Very old tired park Sloowly being renovated. They started with the pool 2 years ago and I must say its stunning and would grace any 5 star hotel, sadly thats where all the good stuff ends.
The roads around the park are quite disgusting , your average car could easily disappear down one never to be seen again. Marg and I had to go to NZL for a few weeks to assist my folks moving into a retirement home leaving behind a house they had lived in for 42 years. We had originally planned to leave the van here and return to the park for another 3 weeks. After checking in and paying for half of our stay the reception asked if I could leave our keys with them in case they had to move the van as 2 days earlier the had a 100mm dump in 2 hours that sent 3 feet of water over
our spot. I did ask for a different spot but they could offer nothing acceptable. The following day another storm beckoned and within an hour the creek behind us breached its banks , so in an already sodden park another flood looked imminent. Still no acceptable alternate sites so we hooked up the van and headed north to Yamba, were able to check into the Big 4 Yamba just south of the Fishing Haven park where we have stayed before. Now Fishing Haven is , mmm say 2.5 star, Big 4 is 5 star with every imaginable extra included in a very reasonable price, nice pools, free kayaks, brilliant camp kitchen and areas set up for games like Boules ( whatever its called) outdoor movies for kids, its was brilliant. Only 4 nights here then up to Brisbane to park the van and head to NZL.
Contacted Sapphire Beach for a refund, no chance, so live and learn, check out each site first and unless its peak do not offer a deposit, take your chances, only pay a week ahead at a time. I know that camps are not responsible for the weather but they can / should offer safe secure sites, clearly the one we were allotted was neither.
Just as a note here, Coffs had 180mm of rain in 4 hours so for sure the park would have flooded again.
So back at last from NZL decided to delay or trip north as weather was atrocious , headed north Thursday 02/04 and arrived after an un eventful trip at our planed stay Cheery Nomads just outside of Maryborough . This is a new place only opened previous November, over the easter long weekend he only managed 30% full. Interesting place owner is an ex farmer slowly selling of his landholdings looking for a pacify income. Sadly I think he got this wrong, he was a wonderful host even got a licensed bar on the premises but he has placed all the vans into the middle of the park on a compacted metal surface all jammed into one another, surrounded by rather nice rural outlook, problem out of your van all you can see is each other. My wife had to go to Melbourne unexpectedly and the thought of staying here on my own was to much, I hitched the van and am now at Woodgate Beach .